With changes to local and national Covid-19 virus guidance now allowing group community volunteering to restart, we’ve recently been working hard to ensure we have the necessary risk assessments and safety procedures in place to try and keep both volunteers and other site visitors safe.
For the time being some things are going to be a little bit different, as we’ll be taking lots of extra precautions.
There will be some things that we won’t be able to do just yet, where volunteers would otherwise have to work together in close proximity, and the scope of what we can achieve might be reduced somewhat, as there will be fewer volunteers able to be involved each time, and with each session being shorter.
However we still hope we’ll be able to make a positive impact on our local green spaces.
We are also extremely conscious of our activities causing inconvenience to other site users, making it more difficult for them to social distance, so we will be careful in judging where we work, what we do, and when, to minimise disruption.
There will be times where we have to temporarily close off areas of the site where volunteers are working, to keep everyone safe, but we’ll be sure to make this as clear as possible, and keep it to a minimum.
To begin with we’ll be advertising our upcoming volunteer opportunities to members of the group and those signed-up to our mailing list, so if you’d like to be involved in helping out please ensure you’re signed-up to recieve these messages.
What we’ll be doing differently:
- Activities will be limited to a maximum of 6 volunteers, and booking in advance will be manadatory.
Those who haven’t booked a place won’t be allowed to participate.
- Volunteers will be asked to provide address and phone contact details when booking, to help with track and tracing should this be necessary.
- We’ll be reminding volunteers who should and shouldn’t be volunteering inline with current advice, and ensuring those who have any Covid-19 symptoms, or share a household or bubble with anyone who does, they shouldn’t be attending.
- Volunteers will be asked to bring their own gardening gloves, drinking water and hand sanitiser.
We won’t be able to lend gloves or provide refreshments to share as we usually would.
- Activities will be designed to accommodate social distancing, and where necessary measures will be taken to help keep volunteers and other site visitors apart.
- Sessions will be shorter than usual as toilet and hand washing facilities will not be available on site, to reduce the need for breaks, and to minimise disruption to other site visitors.
Hand sanitiser and disinfectant cleaning wipes will be available.
- Tools will be carefully disinfected before and after each session, and volunteers will be allocated a specific tool (or tools) to use throughout the day, removing the need for sharing.
While we have tried to reduce risk as much as possible, all social and physical interactions carry a degree of risk of Covid-19 transmission. Please be aware that the risk that some people are willing to take may not be the same as the risk others are willing to accept.
If you aren’t already a member and would like to join, or you would like to register on our mailing list to hear about upcoming events then you can do so via the links below:
If you have any questions about volunteering with us please don’t hesitate to get in touch.