Most of the work to care for, maintain and improve our local community green spaces is organised and undertaken entirely by passionate local volunteers. If you’d like to lend a hand please sign up to join in, no previous experience is necessary.
Hope you can join us!
What we’ll be doing:
Over the summer we like to run some extra Balsam Bahing sessions in Elmbridge Meadows Nature Reserve making use of the lovely summer evenings to tackle this menace, before it’s able to disperse it’s seeds.
Balsam Bashing is a really fun activity where we pull up masses of the invasive plant Himalayan Balsam which outcompetes much of out local flora, and causes damage to our river banks.
It’s really easy to pull out, and really satisfying to twist and snap to prevent future growth.
Please note unlike most of our other volunteers sessions for these events we’ll be meeting at the Elmbridge Meadows entrance between No.s 114 & 116 Elmbridge Avenue (KT5 9HB).
Booking a place:
Sessions are open for anyone to drop-in on the day.
Although booking isn’t neccesary it’s still helpful for us to know how many people to expect, to ensure we have enough tools and equipment on site, and to enable us to plan appropriate activities.
Who should volunteer:
- Volunteers of all ages are welcome, but we do ask that those under 14 are accompanied by an adult. Those aged 14-18 may volunteer alone, but with parental consent forms to be completed in advance (send us a message to get a copy of the form).
- Please don’t attend volunteer sessions if you or any members of your household are unwell.
What to bring:
- Bring your own work or gardening gloves and eye protection glasses if appropriate (we will have some spare that we can lend on the day, but not enough for everyone).
- Please bring your own drinking water and sunscreen as parts of the site are quite exposed and it’s thirsty work!
- Wear appropriate footwear and clothing for the conditions, weather, and planned activity. This will usually be sturdy shoes or wellies (as the ground is uneven can get very muddy), and clothes you don’t mind getting grubby, ideally with trousers & long sleeves (to avoid stings, cuts and grazes from things like nettles and brambles found throughout our green spaces).
On the day:
- Please arrive in good time for the start of the volunteer session at the meeting point at the Elmbridge Meadows entrance between No.s 114 & 116 Elmbridge Avenue (KT5 9HB).
- Before starting work a member of the team will give a short welcome briefing on the activities we’ll be carrying out, using tools safely, other general Health & Safety considerations.
- Although we advertise a 7pm finish for the end of these evening sessions, some volunteers like to stay around a little longer, but you are of course welcome to join for as long or short an amount of time as you’d like.